Your dream of owning a restaurant is something that requires attention, detail, and dedication. The process is complex and involves several different phases, especially if you intend to acquire a liquor license. It is imperative that you hire an attorney who not only has experience with the local and state licensing boards, but also one that can provide you with full representation with respect to negotiating your lease and drafting necessary investor documents.
Attorney Matthew Solomon has successfully represented clients opening up restaurants and applying for liquor licenses in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville. Using his first-hand knowledge gained in working in the restaurant field, Attorney Solomon also brings a keen understanding of what goes into opening and running a successful restaurant.
Attorney Solomon offers assistance in the following areas:
- Help choose and setup clients with their business entity (LLC, Corp, etc.) – includes drafting of entity documents and filing of necessary paperwork with the appropriate state agencies.
Purchase of Restaurant
- Review/negotiation of the lease. Requires knowledge of commercial lease language, expertise in identifying hidden costs, and working with the client to determine whether the rent in the lease fits within the client’s budget.
- Review/negotiation of Purchase and Sale.
- This also includes: drafting of Promissory Notes for investors and assistance with other types of financing.
- Review of Offer to Purchase Liquor License: existing license v. new license.
- On the city level: Completion/submission of Common Victualler Application and all necessary paperwork for city licensing board; communicate with licensing board prior to hearing sate; attendance and preparation for hearing in front of city licensing board.
- On the state level: Completion of liquor license purchase/transfer Retail Application for the Alcohol Beverages Control Commission (ABCC); assuring that client meets specific qualifications needed to obtain a retail liquor license; communication with ABCC investigator.